Claims FAQ’s

Below are questions commonly asked concerning Insurance Board claims.

What should I do if I think I have a claim?

In the event of a loss, damage, or accident, you should do the following: Notify the police if a law may have been broken; report the claim as soon as practical by contacting your agent; provide a description of how, when, and where the loss or accident occurred during the reporting of the claim. In addition, for a property claim take reasonable steps to protect against further loss or damage even if it means making minor repairs. Preserve evidence relating to an incident, e.g., potentially defective equipment, take photos and keep your receipts for the repairs. Also, immediately notify your agent of any demands, notices, summons, or legal papers received in connection with the claim or lawsuit.

What should I NOT do if I think I have a claim?

Do not delay reporting while collecting information about an accident, injury or claim. Do not assume any obligation, make a payment, settlement, or incur expense, other than necessary first aid or emergency repairs, without the insurance carrier’s consent, except at your own cost. Do not make statements along the lines of: “We’ll take care of it for you.” Let the person know that you will contact your insurance company and a representative from that company will be in touch. And, do not do anything after an incident occurs that would interfere with the right to recover from others. Along with not providing statements, written or oral, except if it is the proper legal authorities, or authorized representative of the Insurance Board. Do not sign any contract for repairs or make statements along the lines of: “We’ll take care of it for you.”

What should we do if someone sues our church?

Notify the Insurance Board and your agent immediately. The injured person (plaintiff)’s attorney will provide you with the following: Details of the complaint, a description of the lawsuit, the summons, and a request for your response, so please send all of this paperwork to the Insurance Board Attn: Cy McFarlin and Monroe Moore. As, there is a limited amount of time to file a response, and if no response is filed within the time stated, the plaintiff will automatically receive a default judgment so don’t delay.

Should I use a public adjuster?

This is an option that policyholders can exercise, however, there are some important considerations to understand.  For one, the public adjuster’s fee is not covered by the insurance company.  Instead, this fee, which is usually a percentage of the insurance claim, is deducted from the insurance claim payment the insurer makes.  Also, once you engage a public adjuster the insurer is generally obligated to deal directly with the public adjuster, removing you (the policyholder) from the process.  Dealing directly with the insurer enables you to maintain control of the process, and allows you to retain 100% of the claim dollars paid.  You can find more information on Public Adjusters on the “Safety Resources” section of the website.

What can I do to help settle my property claim quickly?

If you get estimates right away, that will help. Generally, three estimates by qualified contractors will suffice when your building is damaged along with taking photos and documenting the damages.

What will happen after I submit my claim?
Within 48 hours of filing your claim you will receive an email confirmation of that claim. You will then be contacted by an adjuster. The adjuster will go through an initial contact with you, and will answer your questions about the claim, and the process moving forward. In addition, we will be there to assist you every step of the way. A member of the IB will be available throughout the claims process until everything is completely resolved.
What should I do to prepare for when the adjuster calls?

Authorize the release of relevant records and other information needed to process the claim. Cooperate in the investigation, settlement, or defense of a claim or lawsuit and advise us of any suspicious circumstances about a claim. In addition, if someone is injured, make sure that appropriate medical attention is provided immediately. If the injured person requests it, please provide our name, address, and phone number, but do not assume any responsibility. Also, assist your adjuster in verifying the value of damaged items by providing information such as invoices, brands, and model numbers.

Can’t find what you are looking for?

Fill out this form to ask your own question.

Contact Us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.